Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cave Creek Thriller 50k

Firstly I'll say I really don't have much to add in addition to already superb race reports from Aravaipa Running & McDowell Mountain Man AKA Jay Danek. Definitely check those out as I'll be brief in my account.

Went into the race not fresh being that I did Mt. Ord (couldn't resist) the Wednesday before... awesome time but it does include 4k ascent and decent. My hamstrings and calves were feeling a bit tired from that.

50k group on the charge
Photo courtesy of Aravaipa Running

The field out there was quite competitive with a variety of Arizona's talents. The trails at Cave Creek are just superb... very nice and manicured. I think this is relative to each person but I found them to be nice. Runnable all throughout and I think that is what got to people. You can go all out if you want and that's what people did. People started out fast and it was pretty much a game of who could last the longest. Despite cursing my shoe choice (despite looking cool) and muscle fatigue from some good recent training I went out there and did my best. I think 4:10's out there is realistic (ran a 4:26). It's a really sweet course that isn't the easiest or hardest but is a great example of desert trail terrain. I also donned the Aravaipa jersey and am super excited to be part of their team. It's an honor to be a part of such a talented and incredible group of people.

Until next time!

Photo courtesy of Bret Sarnquist

1 comment:

  1. Nice work out there and way to represent! There... you got a comment. I expect one back on my blog.

    ReplyDelete